Re: ntpdate issue ....

On 04/04/15 19:06, Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <5520773F.6060608%hiwaay.net@localhost>,
William A. Mahaffey III <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost> wrote:
On 04/04/15 16:15, Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <55203B5E.2080502%hiwaay.net@localhost>,
William A. Mahaffey III <wam%hiwaay.net@localhost> wrote:
.... I use a combination of ntpdate & adjtime to maintain time on my
LAN. Here is output from my incumbent time server:

[root@athloncube:/etc, Sat Apr 04, 02:21 PM] 1002 # ntpdate -q
fly.hiwaay.net | awk '{printf $6 " "}'
-374.785763, time [root@athloncube:/etc, Sat Apr 04, 02:21 PM] 1002 #
uname -a
Linux athloncube 2.6.35.14-106.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Nov 23 13:07:52
UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@athloncube:/etc, Sat Apr 04, 02:23 PM] 1003 #

& from my RPi, hopefully soon to replace the incumbent:

rpi # date
Sat Apr  4 14:30:17 UTC 2015
rpi # ntpdate -q fly.hiwaay.net | awk '{printf $6 " "}'
17326.729876, time rpi #
rpi # date
Sat Apr  4 14:30:31 UTC 2015
rpi # uname -a
NetBSD rpi 7.0_BETA NetBSD 7.0_BETA (RPI.201503272230Z) evbarm
rpi #

i.e. the value provided by ntpdate on the RPi looks wrong to me. The
-375-ish sec. value from the incumbent is correct.  Please advise & do
not hesitate to ask for any more info req'd. TIA & keep up the good work.
Why don't you run ntpd?

christos

I like my LAN boxen to reflect time slightly fast, i.e. slightly ahead
of local time (just like I have all my clocks set), so I munge around w/
ntpdate & adjtime to effect that. I do in fact run ntpd, as a server for
the rest of the LAN, serving up my locally adjusted (slightly fast)
time. I have been doing this w/ the incumbent LAN-time server for
several years now w/ no issues, although that box has gotten a bit
unreliable lately, hence my interest in moving to a newer box for
LAN-time service.
This is the first time I hear anyone wanting their boxes to have the wrong
time :-) Nevertheless you should do that using a custom timezone instead,
so you can avoid the chicanery with adjtime(2).

christos

Yeah, that's wy I was soft-peddling it in previous posts. Someone else suggested the custom timezone, I think I will look into that .... *However*, ntpdate *IS* returning a bad offset from my ISP (I *think*), someone might wanna look into that ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                           -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.