Re: Unable to boot NetBSD on Linksys NSLU2 (armbe / armv5tel)

> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>>

>> Did you build on a NetBSD host?
>
> I used Linux (and cygwin too!). I built and tested the stable 6.1 and
> confirmed that it works on the slug AND that Linux builds working
> kernels. I also used a Linux NFS server and it works well with a
> NetBSD 6.1 NSLU2 kernel. I created the rootfs on the USB drive using
> the slug running 6 over NFS and successfully used it to boot NetBSD 6.
> NetBSD 6.1.5 works too.

I can confirm that building the latest code from netbsd_6_1 branch
leads to a bootable NSLU2 via NFS root.

The last commit in that branch that works for me is:

Author: msaitoh <msaitoh>
Date:   Mon Feb 23 07:20:52 2015 +0000

    Ticket 1259.

(That is commit 85a308b845c6b8dc27b15dc50b15a4a319273c3b in the git
clone from branch origin/netbsd_6_1)

>> I tried myself to build a version of BSD from that period, but I couldn't
>> find a working version.
>>
> Use 6.1.5.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I can try to make sense of NetBSD on
the slug :) .

BTW, in case somebody's interested, I tried building the version just
before the creation of the netbsd_6_1 branch, but it failed to build
successfully due to the build system complaining DESTDIR files were
incorrect/misalligned with the real files on disk (or something of
that sort).

The commit in question was

Author: riz <riz>
Date:   Sat Oct 13 06:18:33 2012 +0000

    Ticket 607, tag to be moved.

My hope was that I would be able identify the differences that made
the trunk version incorrect, while the 6.1 version working correctly.

>> Is there a simple way to change the default commands in RedBoot without
>> risking to brick it (like is possible in u-boot)?
>>
> As far as I know, you have to replace the bootloader.

I can say I tried

--
Eddy Petrișor