Re: Reset USB after printer reattach?

BTW, I just checked, and it looks like usb devices don't support the re-scan operation. So just ignore my suggestion!

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, Paul Goyette wrote:

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, Ib-Michael Martinsen wrote:

Paul Goyette writes:
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I occasionally turn my USB printer off and on again, after which it
> > doesn't reattach to ulpt0 or show up in dmesg, same thing if I
> > physically remove and reattach the USB cable. Rebooting fixes it, but
> > I'd preferably not do that each time I reattach USB devices.
> >
> > Host machine is a Raspberry Pi running
> > NetBSD raspi 6.99.24 NetBSD 6.99.24 (RPI) #0: Wed Oct 2 13:06:35 UTC 2013 builds%b6.netbsd.org@localhost:/home/builds/ab/HEAD/evbarm-earmhf/201310020850Z-obj/home/builds/ab/HEAD/src/sys/arch/evbarm/compile/RPI evbarm
> >
> > Printer is a Samsung CLX 3185.
> >
> > Any ideas how to force-reset USB?
>
> Have you tried
>
>    drvctl -s <parent device>
>
> ??

I have a similar problem and tried:

root%asus.immnet.dk@localhost:/root # drvctl -l uhub5
uhub5 ulpt0
uhub5 uhub8
root%asus.immnet.dk@localhost:/root # drvctl -s uhub5
drvctl: unknown option -- s
Usage: drvctl -r [-a attribute] busdevice [locator ...]
      drvctl -d device
      drvctl [-nt] -l [device]
      drvctl [-n] -p device [prop]
      drvctl -Q device
      drvctl -R device
      drvctl -S device
root%asus.immnet.dk@localhost:/root #

Is the switch you are suggesting a typo?
Or am I using the command incorrectly?

Ooppss!  My bad.  The suggested command should be

        drvctl -r <device>

to rescan.

You may have to use /dev/usb# rather than uhub5. Check your console log to see which usb bus your printer eventually attached.

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |

!DSPAM:529f980d119006038016210!

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |