Re: Latest RaspberryPI image

In article
<C6ED04AB-8317-499B-ABAC-B1A3483A2215%must-have-coffee.gen.nz@localhost>,
Lloyd Parkes  <lloyd%must-have-coffee.gen.nz@localhost> wrote:

>On 5/03/2013, at 7:40 PM, Alexander Schreiber <als%thangorodrim.de@localhost>
>wrote:
>
>> Since AFAIK the Raspberry doesn't need bootloader code in hardcoded sectors
>> at the start of disk and loads its boot code from the first (FAT) partition,
>> why is everybody distributing binary images? A .tar.bz should do as well,
>> if you have a suitable host OS to initialize & format the SD card (I do
>> realize that building a NetBSD compatible SD card under, say Windows, might
>> be a non-trivial matter).
>
>It's not just Windows, it's OS X and Linux. I don't have an SD Card slot
>in any NetBSD box I own and any NetBSD box within arm's reach of me
>quickly ends in bits as test things on it.

I would also like to see how you can issue a tar command to create
an msdos filesystem to keep the kernel and the boot files (required
for booting) an ffs filesystem (required for running), a disk label,
and an mbr. Incidentally, why don't you try building NetBSD/evbarm
under Windows and watch it building rpi.img.gz for you? Yes, we've
made it that trivial.

christos