Re: Raspberry Pi update please.

On 7/01/2013, at 10:06 AM, Richard Neswold <rich.neswold%gmail.com@localhost>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I picked up a Raspberry Pi over the holidays and have been messing around
> with it. The Raspian and raspbmc images work well, but I'd prefer to use
> NetBSD.
>
> The only advertised NetBSD kernel for it is from Oct 13th. Is there a more
> recent kernel available (with further support, like USB or video?) I don't
> have the expertise to complete the port, but if there's anything I can do to
> help, let me know.

USB is still missing which means that ethernet is still missing. Video may be
missing too, but I haven't tested it.

Updating the image manually is not too hard although it is a bit more
complicated than it might be. The Oct 13 image boots into a 3rd party boot
loader called u-boot which in turn loads the NetBSD kernel because u-boot is
much more sophisticated than the initial boot loader. Unfortunately, I couldn't
make u-boot work although that might not have been u-boot's fault. I downloaded
the latest Raspberry Pi boot loader from
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot and threw away the old
files and u-boot. The NetBSD build produces a file called kernel.img when you
build the RPI kernel and that's what you need to put on your SD Card. Since all
of these files go into the FAT16 format partition, you can mess with the SD
Card on almost any computer you like.

Once you have your boot loader sorted out, you can cross compile a new kernel
from whichever -current you like and just install it.

Cheers,
Lloyd