Re: boot device: <unknown> with inkernel root file system on evbarm

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Marcin M. Jessa <lists%yazzy.org@localhost>
wrote:
> Hi guys.

> I have also created a small root file system, created a file system image
> and inserted it to my ELF kernel:
> # du -hs boot/
> 7.1M    boot
> # makefs -s 10240k -t ffs md.img boot/
> # mdsetimage -v -s netbsd md.img
>
> Booting this kernel I get following output:
> clock: hz=100 stathz=0 profhz=0
> boot device: <unknown>
> root on md0a
> cannot mount root, error = 22
> root device (default md0a):
>
> I'm on NetBSD 5.99.24.
>
> Why isn't the boot device recognized? Am I forgetting something here?
>

> Marcin

Maybe you are having endianess issues.  Did you do this
(makefs/mdsetimage etc) using a big endian platform like ixp425 or did
you use the the LE x86?  I would NFS boot the ixdp425 and use it to
build your rootfs. I have also had to use the FFS_EI option to solve
some rootfs problems on my slug in the past.

Luasi