Re: TS7200_INSTALL kernel problem solved - kernel too big!

On Dec 6, 2008, at 9:09 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

So, I finally figured out what the problem was with the TS7200_INSTALL
kernel - it's too damn big!

Currently there is only 8MB of space mapped for the whole kernel.  And
the first 2MB is reserved for the kernel stack. The 3.1.1 INSTALL kernel just squeezed in there ... but add more stuff in the 4.0.1 kernel, combined with the memory disk image and everything, and the bss falls outside of
the mapped memory range ... and badness happens.

So, I'm wondering what people thinks is a good idea to solve the problem.
Some ideas come to mind:

1) Make the kernel smaller (this is what I did to get it going)
2) Make the kernel stack smaller
3) Make the install disk image smaller (looks like there's some room there)

Anyone have any additional ideas?  Obviously this is only an issue for
the install kernel; once you have a kernel without the ramdisk, there's
plenty of room.

Please test the changes I just made to evbarm/tsarm/tsarm_start.S
It will now (in theory) map the entire kernel :)