Re: Notes for Shark disk install

Chris Gilbert said on 27/09/08 13:33:
> chriswareham%chriswareham.demon.co.uk@localhost wrote:
>> I've just acquired several Sharks, and have succeeded in installing NetBSD 4.0 >> and -current on them. The only problem I had was booting after the install. The
>> FAQ says to use the following to set the default boot device and file:
> Dare I ask how many sharks? and are any spare, it's one of the arm boxen
> I lack. :)

I've got two, but I'm planning on using both of them for the time being.
However, if either or both become surplus to requirements then I'll let
you know.

>> setenv boot-device disk:\netbsd
>> However, I found I had to using the following instead:
>> setenv boot-device disk:\netbsd.aout
> Yes, that's expected (even if it's mis-documented)  When we switched to
> ELF a while back, maye netbsd 1.6, the /netbsd kernel needs to be ELF
> for tools (systat, vmstat etc) to understand it and find symbols, so we
> install the ELF kernel to /netbsd and the a.out to /netbsd.aout.
> I'll look at updating the FAQ

An update to the FAQ would be great.

>> Just in case it's of use to anyone, my install notes can be found here:
>> http://www.chriswareham.demon.co.uk/shark.html
>> Now to try and get X up and running ...
> People have managed it :)

It's hard to judge from messages on the list whether Xfree86 or Xorg
from pkgsrc work, and if so whether it's on 4.0 or a recent -current.