Re: Clock error on bootup - NSLU2

On Friday 21 March 2008 22:57:29 Donald T Hayford wrote:
> I get the following error message when the NSLU2 is booting up.
>
> xrtc0: xrtc_clock_read: failed to read rtc at 0x0
> xrtc0: xrtc_clock_read: failed to read rtc at 0x0
> WARNING: preposterous TOD clock time
> WARNING: using filesystem time
> WARNING: CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
>
> I understand that the NSLU2 clock is not battery backed, thus the
> preposterous TOD clock time warning.  Do the first two lines indicate
> some different problem, or is this related to the lack of battery
> backup as well.

NSLU2's clock is backed up by a battery. Have you tried setting the time
manually either using date(1) or ntpdate(8)?

I suspect NetBSD and Linux encode the time slightly differently in the
RTC (they probably use a different epoch) so until you set the time
manually under NetBSD you will always see this message.

Cheers, Steve