Port-amigappc archive

Re: A3000 problems

Radoslaw Kujawa wrote:

> Yes, dev boards for CyberStorm Mk-II were called "PowerUP":
> http://bboah.com/download_photos/ppcproto_5_big.jpg

Ok. I wonder how much of those exist.

>> Some developer boards had a 603e. Were A2000-BPPCs ever released?
>
> Some guy stuck a dev board onto Blizzard 2060:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foWfXhmi1wY . So it's possible to have a
> PPC in A2000 ;). Dunno if that behaves more like an BPPC or like CSPPC.
> But I never heard of official PPC card for A2000.

I guess we can ignore that. :)

I'm open for suggestions how to detect CSPPC, BPPC (and maybe even PowerUp)
cards reliably.

>> The FIRSTSEG/S option is misleading. In reality it is implemented as
>> "use segment with highest priority" instead of "use biggest segment".
>
> Fine then, but shouldn't it be the default in amigappc port? You'd
> always want to load kernel into CSPPC/BPPC RAM, which always have
> highest priority.

Yes, that's true. I changed the default behaviour now, removed FIRSTSEG/S
and introduced LARGESTSEG/S instead.

The updated gobsdppc can be found under:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/phx/amigappc/

I can also upload the full gobsdppc source somewhere, when anybody is
interested. But it may only be compilable with vbcc at the moment.

>> The kernel will be automatically relocated for the Z3 RAM, like a BPPC
>> kernel. The only problem could be that I'm always using a 128MB BAT
>> for CSPPC, while your Z3 RAM is 256MB.
>
> Ah, that's not really true - my ZorRAM is a 128MB model. Though, for
> some reason it allocates 256MB of Z3 space.

Probably just to make the next board aligned to a 256MB boundary. Even the
Deneb wastes 256MB in your configuration.

> ZorRAM is currently
> produced in two versions - 128MB and 256MB. I suspect that CPLD core is
> same for both versions. What happens if actual size of RAM is different
> than allocated Z3 space size? It should not be a problem, because
> memlist contains valid values passed from AmigaOS?

Yes. We are relying on the memlist.

I just tried to run WarpOS and PowerUp programs in Chip-RAM, which didn't
work because Chip-RAM is not mapped as an executable segment. So I'm still
unsure what happens when trying to execute PPC code outside of the onboard
RAM.

So I have no explanation for what happened to you ATM.

> Makes sense. ShowConfig looks like this:
> [...]

I have never seen so much allocated Z3 space before!

> First two boards is Deneb, then ZorRAM, CV64/3D, FastATA 4000 and
> CSPPC. Is it possible to BAT-map some additional space to support
> configuration like this? I see that BAT_BL_256M is max possible block
> size for older PPC CPUs...

Yes. And we have just four IBAT and four DBAT registers. But the kernel
supports more than four data BATs in the battable. In the dsitrap function
of powerpc/trap_subr.S you can see that it will randomly use the DBAT2 and
DBAT3 to load an entry from battable to fix the current dsitrap.

So, yes, we could add more 256MB BATs for your needs. Maybe you want to try
it yourself in initppc() - look for amigappc_batinit().

--
Frank Wille