Re: Defaulting WSCONS in NetBSD/amiga GENERIC

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 at 21:19, Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost> wrote:

> David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > So, it looks like the following might not be supported by wscons
> > - grf1 & grf2  Retina Z2/Z3
> > - grf3         Cirrus boards
> > - grf4         A2410 video
>
> I'm pretty sure that I added wscons support to grf_cl.c, which means grf3.

So the WSCONS kernel should probably not be disabling grf3 then?

> > So a blocker on any change to defauling wscons would be to get those
> > drivers to support wscons, at least for console text (given the X
> > servers we have right now are wscons enabled anyway). Do people have
> > hardware to test changes?
>
> That was exactly my problem, a few years ago. For all other cards I either
> had the hardware myself, or testers at hand. A2410 is extremely rare.

I think it's a judgement call, but at some point it's better to focus
on a better experience for the hardware people that are using NetBSD
have available, and leave a note for anyone in the future that a
driver would be welcomed... :)

David