Re: Defaulting WSCONS in NetBSD/amiga GENERIC

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 at 18:10, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Are there any remaining Amiga configurations supported by GENERIC but
> not WSCONS (in as far as being able to run a text console and wsfb
> X11)?
>
> If not, it feels like time to default NetBSD/amiga GENERIC to WSCONS enabled
>
> So, proposal
> - Enable WSCONS in amiga GENERIC
> - Add a NO_WSCONS kernel for now as a fallback
> - Look at adjusting X11 to default to expecting wskbd (similar to other ports)
>
> I think adding wscons=YES and enabling ttyE0-E3 in /etc/ttys should
> rightfully be part of sysinst, and the miniroot should include
> sysinst, but that is a separate phase

(After looking through code)

So, it looks like the following might not be supported by wscons
- grf1 & grf2  Retina Z2/Z3
- grf3         Cirrus boards
- grf4         A2410 video

So a blocker on any change to defauling wscons would be to get those
drivers to support wscons, at least for console text (given the X
servers we have right now are wscons enabled anyway). Do people have
hardware to test changes?

David