Re: Panics going multiuser with NetBSD 8, 9, current

John, what extra hardware do you have in your A4000? From what I can see it is just the CSPPC board (although you said CSMk3 before) and an A4066 ethernet card? (BTW, I wonder why your CSPPC has no serial number.)

Currently it's exactly that - an A4000, a CyberStorm Mk3, and the A4066 card.

I don't know from where the serial number is retrieved, but maybe that's a CSPPC thing.

And while you're at it, building a new kernel, you could also enable some debugging options, like DEBUG, DEBUG_PAGE0 and DEBUG_KERNEL_START.

I tried to build a kernel with those. DEBUG_KERNEL_START gave this failure:

--- amiga_init.o ---
/usr/current/src/sys/arch/amiga/amiga/amiga_init.c: In function 'start_c_finish': /usr/current/src/sys/arch/amiga/amiga/amiga_init.c:804:7: error: 'id' undeclared (first use in this function)
  804 |  if ((id >> 24) == 0x7D) { /* mapping on, is_draco() is valid */
      |       ^~
/usr/current/src/sys/arch/amiga/amiga/amiga_init.c:804:7: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in /usr/current/src/sys/arch/amiga/amiga/amiga_init.c:807:3: error: 'altaiscolpt' undeclared (first use in this function)
  807 |   altaiscolpt = (volatile u_int8_t *)(DRCCADDR+PAGE_SIZE*9+0x3c8);
      |   ^~~~~~~~~~~
/usr/current/src/sys/arch/amiga/amiga/amiga_init.c:808:3: error: 'altaiscol' undeclared (first use in this function)
  808 |   altaiscol = altaiscolpt + 1;
      |   ^~~~~~~~~

So the most important difference between our systems is A3000-SCSI on one
and IDE on the other side. Maybe you want to configure a test kernel
without wdc, even if your A1200 seemed to work with it...

A kernel with all wd* stuff removed still panicked.

FYI - in NetBSD 9 and, I think, current, my A1200 can't write to the CF card that it could write to just fine with NetBSD 8, but I think that's a separate issue.

How much memory do you have installed? Did you already run a memory
test?

I have 128 megs on the CyberStorm and 16 megs on the motherboard, and I've tested both with the CyberStorm memory removed and with the 16 megs removed.

Since I don't have a memory testing program handy, I compiled various things for hours, both in the 16 megs of motherboard memory and in the 128 megs of CS memory, with no issues.

Some random thoughts
- Can you setup a filesystem under netbsd-6, then boot the netbsd-7
miniroot and chroot to the netbsd-6 filesystem

Didn't panic from running chroot, but panicked from "cd" run immediately after chroot:

https://www.klos.com/~john/chroot_panic.jpg

- Is there anything interesting different between a netbsd-6 and netbsd-7 dmesg

https://www.klos.com/~john/a4000_dmesg_6.txt

I see nothing different in the NetBSD 7 dmesg.

Hmmm... So we've tried:

* Not using WAPBL versus using, both in previous boot and current

* Root on IDE versus SCSI

* Kernel compiled without IDE, kernel compiled without SCSI

* Motherboard memory versus CyberStorm memory

* NetBSD 7, 8, 9, current all panic similarly

* Compiled with and without DEBUG

* Filesystems on RDB versus disklabeled disks

* FFSv1 versus FFSv2

* Kernel compiled without WAPBL

Next I'll try to boot with root on NFS and see if there's any difference.

Thanks!
John