Re: AmigaOne X5000

On Mar 13, 2017, at 7:17 PM, Al Zick <al%familysafeinternet.com@localhost> wrote:

Hello,

On Mar 3, 2017, at 5:07 PM, Swift Griggs wrote:

[ ... ]
The other sad fact was that the M68k line sorta died. Yeah, sure Coldfire was pretty close, but still not pin or microcode compatible. Bummer. I put a lot of work into learning the 68k in the '030 era when it had become fully 32 bit. In my (albeit limited) experience, I found it to be very comfortable to program on.

This is sad. I really like 68k. It seems to me there was a was a Coldfire cpu that they based an accelerator card on for the Atari. I am not sure how well it worked, but from what I read it had a system to trap 68060 instructions and run it through an emulator.
[ ... ]

Don't be too sad, the Apollo Vampire 68080 "spiritual successor" to the MC680x0 line is imminent, works even in an A1000 and is apparently nipping at the older PPC cores.

I don't have a dog in this hunt (I've taken my A3000 as far as it can go), I have no idea how close to production it is, but I do find it an interesting project to follow.

http://www.apollo-core.com/

But according to a few mentions in the forums, the MMU is very different from the traditional 680x0s and may be a non-starter for NetBSD.

David