Re: wscons kernel?

john%ziaspace.com@localhost (John Klos) writes:

>That's my issue. I have an Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard 1260 and Blizzard
>SCSI, and the Blizzard SCSI will boot AmigaDOS but is not compatible with
>a NetBSD bootblock. For many years I've simply used a CompactFlash card in
>a CF to IDE adapter to boot a kernel that has sd0a compiled in as the root
>filesystem, but since I thought it'd be nice to be able to mount the disk
>on other BSD systems, I configured the new drive at sd0 as a GPT disk. Now
>I have to type "dk0" for the root on every boot until someone figures out
>a way to boot from a GPT slice.

The amiga MD findroot() function together with the magic interpretation
of RDB as a disklabel is pretty useless in this case.

But you could boot a kernel that has dk0 compiled in, or even select
a root wedge by name if you use my not-yet-committed patch to config(1)
(or hack the kernel build process).

>It'd also be nice if GPT partitioning could be used for RAIDframe, but I
>suppose it'll be a while before NetBSD supports booting from mirrored
>drives larger than 2 TB :P

RAIDframe on GPT partitioned disks isn't the problem. Booting from
that is...

It would be much simpler if we streamlined the root configuration
process (and break some exotic configurations in the process). It's
almost impossible to stay compatible with all the machine specific
little heuristics.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost