Re: how to find the tty

Al wrote:

> Okay, I think that I am finding the right device now. It looks like
> it uses /dev/ttyC0, ttyC1, ttyC2, and ttyC3.

Ok.

And they are also present in /dev (verified that now). Forget my confusion
from the last posting.

> it doesn't dial, but I can see the lights flash on the
> modem.

So at least you are physically connected to the right port.

> So, I tried testing the modem with cu like described in the
> section "tesing the modem", I get an error "cu: unknown host cu9600".
> Not really sure what that means and I was not able to find a solution
> by google.

You probably did someting else than that what is written in the "testing the
modem" section. The error message looks like you entered:
# cu -s 9600

When the system name is missing cu will call it "cu" and append the speed.

> I then tried cu -l /dev/ttyC0 -s 115200. Nothing is echoed
> to the screen,

Then you are not really connected to the modem. Otherwise the mode would
echo your characters.

> but "~." does let me exit.

"~" is cu-internal and will always work.

> After a few tries this crashed the computer.

What?? ;)
A core dump? Or did it enter ddb? Or did the system reboot?

> I did install userppp from the pkgsrc.

As long as you cannot communicate with your modem and further attempts with
PPP don't make much sense.

To make sure you are not doing something wrong and that your cable and modem
is ok I would connect it to your Amiga's internal serial port and test the
modem again:

# cu -l tty00 -s 9600

--
Frank Wille