Re: crashing issues

Hello Frank,

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012, Frank Wille wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:11:28 -0400 (EDT)
Al <al%familysafeinternet.com@localhost> wrote:

I hope that there is someone who can help me pin this down. My Amiga
2000 (blizzard 2060 128MB ram) is crashing about every 2 to 4 days
after upgrading from NetBSD 4 Beta (John Klos's binaries) to the
latest NetBSD 4_stable.

Is it a kernel panic? No information in /var/log/messages? And no
system dump in /var/crash?

I don't think it is a kernel panic, it doesn't make it to one. I think that it is because it just can't allocate anymore files. Although, I should see if I could find a way to see how many file descriptors are in use.

[...] crash every 2 to 4 days.
[...] Also, I use NFS to
look at the drive on another system that has like 5 million files on
it's exported partition.

Hmm... did you keep an eye on the memory allocation? Maybe the system
is running out of physical and swap memory due to a bug?

Well, I have the 128MB of physical memory and I have setup 1.5 GB of swap. It seems memory related, but I am not sure. How would I know if it could not address all of the swap.

ISTR there were some issues with it in the past (?).

How would I look at this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I know you don't want to hear that, because it probably means that you
have to rebuild your pkgsrc, but it might be the best to update to a
recent kernel. Either 5.1.2 or the upcoming 6.0. NetBSD4 is not really
known as a good release. ;)

Is NetBSD 6 where it is ready for production use and does it support NFS?

I have been thinking my next step is to upgrade to 5.1.2, I just wanted to know if anyone has done this remotely from 4.0. Will the system start ssh after I install the 5.1.2 kernel, but before I have 5.1.2 userland installed? Although, I may need to do the building on another system, because it may crash before it gets anything done.

I just wish that I knew what I did with the old kernel I was using, it would only crash every few months or if I tried to use anoncvs.

Thanks for all your help!

-Al