Re: Time to fix the memory allocation on port-amiga

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 04:08:36AM +0000, John Klos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a while I've written about how a 256 meg Amiga system can't
> access enough memory properly. For the purposes of running a bulk

You'll probably have to rewrite the pmap code in the kernel. The
old one could only handle a limited amount of kernel virtual
memory - which is also needed to hold the page tables for user
processes, which can be huge for X-servers operating on more
modern graphics cards.

The old pmap only had a limited amount of 2nd level descriptors;
fitting into one 8k page, and leaving one for the first level.

I don't recall whether we relaxed that limitation a while ago.

seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/