Re: ASDG EB920 with no MAC Address PROM

Lance Tagliapietra wrote:

I bought one of those $7 proms. I have access to an S4 Dataman programmer at work on the assumption that it can program those.
I have not checked the docs for the programmer yet, but hope to
this between the holidays as it should be a bit quieter then.

As I recall, it should also be able to read out the contents of
a prom.

I'll report back after Christmas about this.

Reporting back: I checked the dataman web site, and even
sent an email to their technical support.  Unfortunately,
the S4 model does not support the 74S288 32x8-bit PROM.
I was a bit disappointed at the news.  The next model
program up from the S4 does support that part, but that
is not the model to which I have access.
Even worse, I have not been able to locate any datasheets
for the part.   I am not beyond building a programmer for
the part, but the datasheet would be required.

--Lance
I suspected as much about the PROM programmer you mentioned. Alas.

As to datasheets, Jameco does have PDFs of the four-sheet electrical datasheet, but nothing in there about the programming algorithm. I gather from loose talk on the 'net that that's particularly critical.

Oh, well. I haven't made any progress recompiling the kernel driver to force an address into the stack, using Ignatios' recommended patch. The system keeps locking up during the compile process. (I'm guessing either a bank of marginal ZIPs in my A3000, or a SCSI command lockup, except I'm booting with "-I ff" so synchronous shouldn't be an issue. Frustrating.)

I'll keep plugging, I guess. I think I'll eventually settle for a soft-configurable (/etc/something) configuration, using (speculating here) maybe modifications to "ifconfig" to permit address changes in the "ether" address family, like Solaris. I'd love to find a way to program the appropriate part or replace it with something functionally equivalent. (A PAL/GAL?)