Re: ASDG EB920 with no MAC Address PROM

Lance Tagliapietra wrote:

John,

I was under the impression that NetBSD supported the ASDG ethernet
card. I have a couple of these cards, and the one with the PROM
did work correctly with NetBSD.
"support": yes, it basically works, if you can resolve interrupt issues and find a way to provide a MAC address. I'm personally hopeful.

The PROM is a 32x8-bit 74S288.  I found these listed in the Jameco
catalog.
True, at about $7 apiece. I'm thinking about buying one, I haven't a compatible programmer, and they aren't cheap. (Cheapest I can find is > $300 US.)

I have not pulled the programmed prom I have to determine how the
ethernet address is encoded to program a prom for my other card,
so I am also interested if you get this problem solved.
I'd be darn curious myself. Looking at the relevant chunk of /usr/src/sys/arch/amiga/dev/if_ed.c, it seems that the device driver reads 6 consecutive bytes from the bottom of the PROM. (If I'm understanding the address offset #define statements correctly.) I'm halfway tempted to whack up an emulator board and play with addressing and formatting. I'd certainly be cheaper than buying a programmer and a fistful of PROMS for trial-and-error. (An emulator would make trial-and-error cheaper, anyways.)

Note that this card was not completely supported during the install.  It
seems that its interrupt may be left on an unhandled.  I had to install
with the card plugged in, but not connected to my LAN, or the install
would lock up.  It took me a few weeks of trial and error before I
determined what the problem was.
I've read reports of unhandled interrupts trashing the system during install. More importantly, though, I believe you have to jumper the board for interrupt 2. The (often hardwired) default is int 6, which apparently can interfere with disk and serial handling. Also, I think the kernel is hardcoded for interrupt 2. I had to rework the circuit board of my EB920, replacing the hardwire jumper for int 6 with a real jumper pin block and a jumper (selected to int 2). I didn't have any problems with the NIC during my setup. YMMV.

--Lance
Lance Tagliapietra <lancetag%luminet.net@localhost>
--

John L. Schuncke, Jr.   <jlschuncke%cox.net@localhost>
Bithead, nethopper, computer archaeologist