Re: tested harddrives [was: RE: Urgent!!!! server problems]

Hi,

> I was just wondering if any has tried an IBm 7N6340 68 pin 36 gig  and
> used a 50 pin to 68 pin adaptor. Does this work well? I talk to someone
> at IBM and they say that the drives should work as long as I have a low
> voltage controller. Does any one know if the controller on a Blizzard 2060
> is low voltage?

Oops - forgot to answer the question. In this context, low voltage
actually refers to low voltage differential, where, basically, the voltage
difference between a signal line and what would be it's corresponding
ground line are used to transmit data. This is different than normal
differential, which uses higher voltages and doesn't work on regular SCSI
busses.

In this context, a normal SCSI controller is not low voltage; it is, more
importantly, not differential. But most LVD drives aut-sense and use non
LVD busses automatically.

So the Blizzard is standard SCSI-2 Fast, no differential.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs