Re: mysterious SCSI problems - a guess

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 04:24:24PM +0100, ali (Anders Lindgren) wrote:
> > >   If there is real interest, I will finish and donate the code.
> >
> > This would be great. Currently it seems like the only way I would be able
> > to install NetBSD 1.6 because I can't boot the install filesystem that
> > xstreamtodev writes to the swap -- my second disk refuses to show up in
> > the early startup menu when it's on the same SCSI chain as the disk I
> > currently run AmigaOS off of.
>
> Do you have, by any chance, the "last target on this scsi chain" bit set
> on the other disk?

Sorry - lost me there. That's something AmigaOS maintains in software
isn't it? I think I have resolved all termination issues anyway -- that
LVD disk is a bit funny; it won't spin up and boot if it's alone on the
chain, so I assume it's not perfectly happy sitting on a narrow chain with
an el-cheapo wide->narrow converter. This is what the chain looks like:

CybSCSImk2<-->Ultra2LVD(AmigaOS)<-->SCSI2(Empty)<-->Scanner

I just confirmed what ISTR: that the second disk both shows up in early
startup-menu and is automounted perfectly fine when I set the fs
identifier to SFS and stuffs SFS into the RDB! This makes it seem like
a problem with my CybSCSI2 and "Use custom boot code". Anyone recognize
this? It strikes me that I have never run NetBSD off of the SCSI
controller before -- it used to live on the IDE interface...

--
/ali
:wq