Re: Install Problems on A4000T

On 27.03.01, 11:03:51, Markus Müller wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> But I still do receive some problems. I made a root of 30 MB, a swap of 100
> MB, a usr of 280 MB, a var of 20 MB and a usr/local of 300 MB. Partitions
> were made using hdtoolbox and the install-guide.

Those sizes should be more than sufficient for a "full + X" install.
However, on a relatively small disk like that I would not split /usr
and /usr/local, but instead use a larger /usr partition to be more
flexible. /usr/local is hardly used at all, anyway, in NetBSD. By
default, packages install under either /usr/X11R6/ or /usr/pkg/.

> Is there something wrong with my disk? Or the controller?

That's what it looks like.

>         Are the partitions too small?

No, not for the installation.

> I try to install the whole set of binaries that are found in the
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5/amiga/binary/sets/....
>

> Please Help! And, btw, does a utility like Midnight Commander also exist for
> netbsd?

Yes. Although it does not come with the base system, it can be easily
installed from the package system. (see
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html). Midnight
Commander is there under sysutils/mc.

> a) when extracting the binary sets from an amigados partition on sd0 i
> receive errors like
> ./sbin/dhclientSIOP: SCSI GROSS Error
> siopchkintr: target 0 ds 0x3880e0
> scripts 8192da8 ds 88ba0e8 rp dd0040 dsp 8192f68 dcmd 180007d0
> siopchintr: istat a dstat 0 sstat0 48 dsps 8586000 dsa 88ba0e8 sbcl 20 sts
> ff msg ff ff sfbr 0
> Stopped in cat at 0x154ed6: unlk a6
> db>

I'm not an expert, but I think this sounds like trouble with the
hardware. Possibly bad cables or bad/wrong termination. The scsi
drivers available in a NetBSD release are usually very stable and do
not cause these kinds of problems.

Better double check the hardware configuration. However, if the system
always manages to continue, after such an error drops you to the
debugger, try to finish the installation and reboot the newly
installed system. See if the problem persists, if you cause a lot of
disk activity (maybe building a kernel, which is a good idea anyway.)

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD:  Post No Bills.
                -- Greywolf