Re: Config understandings

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 08:40:11PM +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:

> > > I rebuilt my RSAREF, OpenSSL, and OpenSSH, and startup of sshd dropped
> > > from about 60 seconds of CPU time to about 15 (comparatively, the same
> > > config on a 40 mhz 68040 Mac takes about 31 seconds).
> >
> > I didn't look at RSAREF, OpenSSL and OpenSSH myself, but apparently
> > somebody
> > else did.
> >
> > It was a factor-of-10-improvement in startup time to pgp2 and sshd, when
> > I made the change.
>
>  Hhm. A while ago, I went back from ssh-1.2.27 to openssh and openssl,
>  and the major delays I reported to teck-pkg (I think) ages ago are gone.
>  No special compiler options, 68040/28MHz. Starting up sshd takes a few
>  seconds, at max. Upgrading pkgsrc from openssl 0.9.5 (or earlier) to
>  0.9.5a seems to have done a lot.

Do Open* have special m68020 code that would break on 68060? and
even if yes, I wouldn't understand why a 68040 would be slowed down; it has
the full set of integer opcodes in hardware. And nobody would write an
encryption package using floating point. Or else, please don't tell me.

I don't have the energy to pursue this right now; ping me again if nothing
is reported within a couple of weeks.