Config understandings

IS wrote:

> > CFLAGS implies what default flags should be in any compile; since we have
> > 68060s, that's all I add here (probably exactly the same as M68060=YES)
>
> definitely not.
>
> M68060=YES in /etc/mk.conf chooses a different libm to be built, and also
> influences some of the big number aritmetic routines used by the ssh and
> pgp packages.

So you put the tuna WITH the mayo... I get it. This explains a few things.
I rebuilt my RSAREF, OpenSSL, and OpenSSH, and startup of sshd dropped
from about 60 seconds of CPU time to about 15 (comparatively, the same
config on a 40 mhz 68040 Mac takes about 31 seconds).

In the last two weeks (up until I restarted ssh), the main sshd daemon had
accumulated over 130 minutes of CPU time.

Which leads me to another question: no matter how long the machine is
idle, the load average never drops below 1.08 (yes, I'm running the
distributed.net client). However, on all of my other FreeBSD machines, the
load does actually settle down to 1.00 (or 2.00 as the case may be for the
dual processor). The same is the case with my 40 mhz 68040 Mac running
NetBSD 1.4.2 (1.08 load average). Does anyone know why this is so?

This leads to yet another question: does anyone know who did the port of
the distributed.net client to NetBSD/m68k? I'd love to politely ask for a
port of a dnet proxy, but don't know who to ask.

And finally: how many of you are running dnet clients on your Amiga? We're
third from the bottom, but could easily be fourth. (According to my logs,
my 66 mhz 68060 is responsible for 70% of the current work, so it wouldn't
take much to make a difference)
http://stats.distributed.net/ogr-25/platformlist.php3?view=tco

Thanks,
John Klos
--
If a 6600 used paper tape instead of core memory, it would use up tape
at about 30 miles/second.