Re: Entropy needed...

> After reading some stuff about OpenSSH, I decided I would rather run it
> than ssh-1.2.27.
>
> However, it needs either /dev/urandom or the egd (entropy gathering
> daemon) in order to run; I have a prejudice about running a Perl script as
> root, so I'm wondering what it takes to get stuff from /dev/urandom, how
> this differs from the kernel's /dev/random stuff, or what's a safe way to
> gather entropy.

 You need to enable the random devices explicitly when you compile
 a kernel. No need for egd (unlike here on Solaris :-(

> Is anyone else running OpenSSH on their 68k?

 I have run it, and in the meantime replaced it with ssh-1.2.27.

 The reason was that every invocation of ssh/sshd froze my machine
 for about 25 seconds, which is not acceptable. Why, I do not know,
 but ssh-1.2.27 doesn't do that. It is possibly a problem with the
 version of openssl in the ports tree and may disappear with a newer
 version. NetBSD-1.4.2 is causing huge performance problems on my
 machine, but in this case the culprit was clearly openss{h,l} ...