Smaller install kernel

Hello,

we've reached the point (IPv6) where even an 8 MB machine seems to be too small
to boot the GENERIC, at least sometimes.

Also, if we want to make the transition to a kernel with embedded miniroot
(which would be helpful for CD installs etc.), we want to make it smaller.

So, what part of GENERIC isn't needed for installations?

My suggestion is to throw out
- all network stacks but INET and INET6 (we don't have installation tools that
  work over Appletalk or OSI in the source tree at all, and we don't have XNS
  stuff either
- all pseudo-filesystems but kernfs

We cannot remove hardware support, obviously (people want to use their hardware
to install). This includes 68881 emulation.

Other than that, any opinions?