Re: Review article for Amiga Unix Compendium

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Kolbjørn Barmen wrote:

> > Unix adventures? I already installed a dozen of Linux systems... but I
> > never had to trouble around with "vi" of any of them... Debian has "ae",
> > very simple, but works. RedHat don't need one cause it runs via X11 right
> > after installing it.
>
> Heh, dream on. It is abit like saying you dont need to know how to edit
> user-startup or dont need to know what WBStartup is for to install AmigaOS.

        If you have a non vi editor that enables you to edit all the
        startup files and configure the system, then you can get a
        system installed and running, and use it while learning more
        about NetBSD, including vi.

> > Well but its important to get on that, cause I write an article for an
> > Amiga magazine and I am quite sure there are some of such "lamers" lurking
> > around wanting to try NetBSD... so if its not for them, I probably should
> > clearly say so?
>
> Yes, IMHO.
> No point in dozens of Joe Does trying to install something they would not
> know how to use anyways, and when they do they start bugging lists like
> this for all sorts of trivial questions and malformed oppinions, such
> as your "I dont want to learn vi" messages here :)

        But you also discourage those who are interested and capable of
        learning more, as they will pick a system which seems easier
        to install on which to learn.

        We should have reasonable FAQs online to answer people's question.
        (We are currently debating a simple editor in the base system on
        current-users@, which is why I haven't added this question :)

        _I_ would never use such an editor, but I know several people
        (quite intelligent and capable of otherwise setting up a system)
        who would find it a benefit.

        If you do not want Joe Doe trying to install NetBSD, then you
        can ignore them, but the more people who know about NetBSD, the
        more likely people who _will_ benefit from it will know and
        try it - a strong "NetBSD is for experts only" message can hurt
        that. A better message is "NetBSD is the best for experts" :)

                David/absolute