Re: Well I got it working - without "vi" *g*

On 8 Jan 2000, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> seem to work properly with my CyberVision 64, but everything else works
> nicely - even tough its a really minimal X11... twm... this reminds me of
> AmiWin... well I already replaced it by kwm & kpanel and will also try out
> enlightement.

There is no fundamental difference between amiwin and X under any other
platform.

> Thanks a lot for your comments I am learning, and now you see that even a
> non "vi" unix lamer can set up NetBSD with a little help. ;)

What will you use it for?

It is really a valid question, IMHO.
I use my a12oo, running linux, as login machine, to read my mail using
pine, news using slrn, irc and xchat, various other small programs.
Main task is to serve as NFS/samba server for our other amigas here
on the LAN, it shares 14GB worth of disk for them. Also it runs apache
hosts http://amiga.nvg.org and http://www.no.linux-m68k.org/, the UAE
discussion board, our ADF archive, and lots of other things. I could
never accomplish all this by using AmigaOS.

However, if AmigaOS could give me all these features in a stable environment,
I would have no problem switching back to it. Unlike most linux (slash)dot
heads, I dont see linux as the ultimate solution and answer to everything.

 Kolbjørn Barmen |    a3k/o6o/6o4e/AmigaOS/MacOS/LinuxPPC   |    // T e a m
 <kolla%nvg.org@localhost> | a12ooCT/o3o/Linux-m68k  a6oo/o3o/AmigaOS | \XX/ A
M I G A
 Nettverksgruppa |    "I met the Amiga and fell in love..." | <amiga.nvg.org>