Re: What do you say to that one? ;)

On 8 Jan 2000, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> >From the Linux m68k FAQ. Advocacy or fact? ;-)
>
> Porting Linux/m68k to my system is useless because there is *BSD for my
> system
>
> False. Linux has many features that make it preferable to NetBSD or
> OpenBSD. The most impressive feature is that there is virtually no
> Berkeley code in the kernel: it is written from the ground up to comply
> with POSIX and other standards (XPG, SVID, etc.), and work is underway to
> make it a "branded" Unix. And we're pretty nice to one another too, which
> doesn't hurt.

One of the reasons why I left netbsd, the grumpy developers :)

> Linux is also highly popular on Intel platforms (to a much greater degree
> than BSD). This popularity, combined with 99.9% source compatibility,
> means that virtually any program that runs on Linux/i386 (and doesn't use
> any inherently non-portable features like SVGAlib) can be compiled and run
> on Linux/m68k. It also means that you can walk into virtually any
> bookstore and buy a book specifically about your OS (try that with
> AmigaOS!).

Yep.

 Kolbjørn Barmen |    a3k/o6o/6o4e/AmigaOS/MacOS/LinuxPPC   |    // T e a m
 <kolla%nvg.org@localhost> | a12ooCT/o3o/Linux-m68k  a6oo/o3o/AmigaOS | \XX/ A
M I G A
 Nettverksgruppa |    "I met the Amiga and fell in love..." | <amiga.nvg.org>