Re: CV64/3D X depth question

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 09:07:51PM -0500, Rob Healey wrote:

>       Does anyone know if the cv64/3d driver in the kernel does all that
>       needs to be done to support the X server should 16/24 bit code
>       be plopped in to in? Or put another way, does the kernel driver
>       for the cv64/3d need anymore functionality to allow bitplanes
>       other than 8 to be used?

the kernel driver for the cv64/3d will need more changing to allow for
Z2 support (what board address range is mapped where when you mmap the
device), but otherwise drivers can do as they wish... they "directly"
access the hardware.

However, when this is done, Xamiga will have to be changed at the same
time
>       I assume there are programming differences between the S3 Trio, CV64,
>       and S3 ViRGe, CV64/3D such that just enabling the CV64 code would
>       probably smoke the server on a CV64/3D card? Or maybe even smoke the
>       card?

Its a completely different chip and, more important, chip mapping on the board,
so its just out of question. You neet the appropriate chip docs.