Netbsd 1.4.1 and a4000T again...

Hi all,

It's me again...

I have played a lot in the meantime with netbsd with no good results...
I'll try to explain better:

my config (again :))
A4000T (escom) 16MB Fast 2 MB chip.
A6340 040@25Mhz
PicassoIV with Paloma/pablo/concierto cards
cdrom pioneer 24x SCSI
hd Samsung 4GB SCSI
hd Seagate 250MB IDE
Zip ATAPI IDE

Oky, I have moved the partitions dedicated to netbsd from the ide
disc to the scsi one...same result.

I'm using 2 kernels:

netbsd 1.4.1 (it doesn't boot on my machine)
netbsd 1.2 (taken from the village tronic ftp site, it does boot and it
does support the picasso IV and the A4000T scsi).

with 1.4.1:

boot with loadbsd -b netbsd, I get a gray screen with black borders
and nothing more, the same If I transfer the miniroot fs to the swap
partition (with success) and boot from there (custom boot code on of course).

I think that the PicassoIV Is not the real problem, as if I run from
the swap partition I can see the first screen where I could change
the kernel parametres that is a pal screen...so the PIV flifix is actually
initializated...but then nothing more happens...

with 1.2
It does boot...
my scsi hd is seen as sd1 while the ide one as sd0...
it does use a picasso screen (very nice :)) and everything works fine
till it asks for the root partition...

As it is on sd1 I wrote  sd1, sd1b, and so on, no way, it doesn't want to
mount it...

I have on an old cd the netbsd 1.1 dist. with the disk image of the old
miniroot for the install, well, If I try to mount that disk the installation
begin, so I thought I could install 1.4.1 with a 1.1 install disk with a
1.2 kernel :-)...
errr...root and usr got recognized and initializated, then I have a shell
prompt...I try to mount the ados partition where the netbsd141 archives are
with this command: mount -t ados /mnt/sd1e /mnt2
but it gives me this error:
ados: mount: ados read only filesystem

The funny thing is that If at this point I try to mount the swap
partition (where I transfered the 141 miniroot.fs) it does mount
it and I can see it's contents!!!

oky, so, any idea on what I have to do?
is it possible there is no one here with my config (almost)
and have problems?

the partition table of my scsi hd is as follow: (in order)

hd0:    sys:    AFS
hd1:    work:   FFS (where the netbsd141 archive are stored)    e
hd2:    misc:   FFS
hd3:    comm:   AFS
hd4:    storage AFS
root    root    BSD
usr             usr             BSD
var             var             BSD
swap    swap    BSD

the letters on the right are how netbsd sees my partitions (got them
using disklabel), there is also a "c" letter that seems to be the entire
hard drive.
var is a small partition that I'm going to use for /var...of course
as soon as I finish the installation I'm going to use it.

BTW, how NetBSD behave with the >1024 cyl. problem?

My hd is 4GB, and the netbsd partitions are located at the end of the hd...
but I don't think this should be a problem as I had the same problems with the
other HD that is 250MB large...

Hope at this point someone can help me :)

BTW as someone suggested I can't see what's happening on the serial (or
it was parallel?) port as I don't have another computer (and I don't have
the chance to get hold of one :( )

regards,

Ciro.