Subject: Re: old X, new 1.4.1pre
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: ali (Anders Lindgren) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/15/1999 20:54:22
On Sun, 15 Aug 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> As Ali was quite astonished:

Yup, Silly old me thought this PLIP-thing was a standardized
platform-independent thing. :-) Thanks for your most informative
answer, it probably saved me both time and grief, and I even
got to learn something. :-)

> But the side effect is that Amiga-PLIP and intel-PLIP can not,
> and never will!, interoperate. For hardware reasons.

Most unfortunate. I suppose SLIP is what I have left then.

> (Of course it should be possible to write a Amiga PLIP for the modern PC
> printer ports (ECP), which are bidirectional. But this would be different
> from Intel PLIP.)

Hrmm I don't know anything about PC hardware and all I know about ECP
is the name. But a bidirectional PLIP-interface for Amigas could
be worth looking into. I have no idea how complicated such a driver
would be, never having written any driver or kernel code and all,
but I'll have a look and see if it's anything I can do.

> If you want to write any of this, feel free.

I'd like to at least investigate it on the amiga part. Any pointers
to how a kernel interface driver is written floating around out
there?

--
/ali: Computer Science Major and aspiring cartoonist. :-)
(dept) dat94ali@ludat.lth.se - http:// www.ludat.lth.se/~dat94ali