Re: Modem Problems

On Sat, Oct 31, 1998 at 08:29:51PM -0800, B. Bogart wrote:
> On 29-Oct-98, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 03:54:18PM -0800, B. Bogart wrote:
> > > I use an Amiga 3000, EGS spectrum, 12MB RAM, Seagate 2.1GB, NetBSD1.3.2
>
> > The GENERIC kernel?
>
> Yes, the GENERIC kernel.
>
> > > I am having troubles using my modem, i can't get chat to communicate with
> > it.
> > > I am also getting many silo Overflows. I know that the serial device and
> > line
> > > work because i have connected the PC to it via a null serial line and the
> > > tty00 works fine, so whats going wrong? I would appriciate any
> suggestions.
>
> > * make sure that
> > - pppd or whatever communication program you use sets crtscts
> > - your cable has 8 wires (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,20)
> > - your modem has RTS/CTS handshaking switched on.
> > you probably know this, but I wanted to mention it for completeness
>
> I cannot get anything working with chat, does not see to be communicating with
> modem at all, the rd and sd lights don't flicker. the cable does have 8 wires,
> i can't turn on the modem RTS CTS without communicating with it, is there some
> program i can get that will just redirect input to the modem? (like a dumb
> termial program?)

"cu" or "tip". Read the man pages, please. You might need to use
/dev/ttyM0 for changing the modem settings (doenst wait for carrier).

> > * compile your own kernel, with
>
> > options LEV6_DEFER
> > options "SERIBUFSIZE=2048"
>
> > (or more).
>
> I have tried compliing my own kernel, but it stops and ends up in the kernel
> debugger (ddb) with this message:
>
>    ...kern/sys_process.c
>    panic: vm_object_paging_begin
>    stopped at: 0f2a0c: unlk a6
>
> I fear this is caused by my crapped Microbotics 8UP card, I am looking into

Uh, well. Even if your card was ok, there might be a NetBSD bug with dealing
with mixed 32bit and 16bit memory boards. Due to the large speed difference,
most people avoid this anyway, so we never found that bug.

> the SIMMFONIE at this time, do you suggest I get the new card and try again?

Might be an idea. Actually, it's strongly advised to have much more than
4 MB, especially if you ever want a graphical user interface. (My Amiga 3000
became much faster moving from 8MB to 12MB; and again much faster when moving
from 12 MB to 16 MB).

> or is there something else going wrong? Also to mention because netbsd only
> recondizes the 4meg on the motherboard my swap partion is much bigger (24MB).

Thats no problem.

> > After doing both, you should be able to do 57600 without much lossage.
> > However, if you use PPP, I advise you to use less (e.g., 38400 for a 28800
> or
> > 33600 modem), to switch off modem compression, and to use PPP compression
> > instead. CPU cycles are cheaper than interupt rate.
>
> I have a 14400 modem so there should not be a problem, also to mention that
> the null serial line between the PC and Amiga worked great at 115200 (except
> when using sz, it liked to stay down to about 38400)

Uhm, well.... otoh, Commodore advised to stay below 38400, as else the serial
woudl not be able to work if DMA devices would operate at the official
cpu lockout limit times.

Regads,