Re: Modem Problems

On 29-Oct-98, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 03:54:18PM -0800, B. Bogart wrote:
> > I use an Amiga 3000, EGS spectrum, 12MB RAM, Seagate 2.1GB, NetBSD1.3.2

> The GENERIC kernel?

Yes, the GENERIC kernel.

> > I am having troubles using my modem, i can't get chat to communicate with
> it.
> > I am also getting many silo Overflows. I know that the serial device and
> line
> > work because i have connected the PC to it via a null serial line and the
> > tty00 works fine, so whats going wrong? I would appriciate any
suggestions.

> * make sure that
> - pppd or whatever communication program you use sets crtscts
> - your cable has 8 wires (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,20)
> - your modem has RTS/CTS handshaking switched on.
> you probably know this, but I wanted to mention it for completeness

I cannot get anything working with chat, does not see to be communicating with
modem at all, the rd and sd lights don't flicker. the cable does have 8 wires,
i can't turn on the modem RTS CTS without communicating with it, is there some
program i can get that will just redirect input to the modem? (like a dumb
termial program?)

> * compile your own kernel, with

> options LEV6_DEFER
> options "SERIBUFSIZE=2048"

> (or more).

I have tried compliing my own kernel, but it stops and ends up in the kernel
debugger (ddb) with this message:

   ...kern/sys_process.c
   panic: vm_object_paging_begin
   stopped at: 0f2a0c: unlk a6

I fear this is caused by my crapped Microbotics 8UP card, I am looking into
the SIMMFONIE at this time, do you suggest I get the new card and try again?
or is there something else going wrong? Also to mention because netbsd only
recondizes the 4meg on the motherboard my swap partion is much bigger (24MB).

> After doing both, you should be able to do 57600 without much lossage.
> However, if you use PPP, I advise you to use less (e.g., 38400 for a 28800
or
> 33600 modem), to switch off modem compression, and to use PPP compression
> instead. CPU cycles are cheaper than interupt rate.

I have a 14400 modem so there should not be a problem, also to mention that
the null serial line between the PC and Amiga worked great at 115200 (except
when using sz, it liked to stay down to about 38400)

> Regards,
> Ignatios Souvatzis

Thakn you for your time,
Ben Bogart