Modem Problems

Hello,
I use an Amiga 3000, EGS spectrum, 12MB RAM, Seagate 2.1GB, NetBSD1.3.2

I am having troubles using my modem, i can't get chat to communicate with it.
I am also getting many silo Overflows. I know that the serial device and line
work because i have connected the PC to it via a null serial line and the
tty00 works fine, so whats going wrong? I would appriciate any suggestions.

Ben Bogart