Re: Bad super block

On Sun, Oct 04, 1998 at 08:17:08AM -1000, Dwight Pollock wrote:
> I have recently deleted my old netbsd 1.1 system and installed netbsd 1.3.2.
> After a lot of work and many tries I got it work with only the base and etc
> sets installed.  I tried to finish the install but it said that my system
> was full.  I have more than the recommended space for the partion sizes.
> root: 41Meg   swap: 53Meg  usr: 1730Meg.

This sounds like you did NOT mount the usr partition properly on /usr.

> Now when I "fsck /dev/sd0g"  I get
> "BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
>                    fsck: /dev/rsd0g: Floating point exception"
> I could reformat the drives and start all over again but would like to know
> if there is some other way to do it.

This sounds like sd0g is NOT what you thing it is. Either it is no BSD
partition at all, or it is the usr partition all right, but was never newfs'd
(maybe due to the same error as above).

Sometimes people miss the part of the installation dialog, where you add
additional (to root) file systems. The dialog goes like this:

        ===
You will now have the opportunity to enter filesystem information.
You will be prompted for device name and mount point (full path,
including the prepending '/' character).

Note that these do not have to be in any particular order.  You will
be given the opportunity to edit the resulting 'fstab' file before
any of the filesystems are mounted.  At that time you will be able
to resolve any filesystem order dependencies.

The following will be used for the root filesystem:
        /dev/sd0a       /

Device name? [done]

        ===

and at that prompt, you should have entered "/dev/sd0g" (if that is the
usr partition) and then, when it asks "Mount point? ", you answer "/usr".
Did you do this?