Re: Newbie questions

David Brownlee writes:

> On Mon, 25 May 1998, Lars Hecking wrote:
>
> >  1) Is there any possibility to tell the kernel which video mode
> >     to boot into? I have to take out my EGS Spectrum to run NetBSD
> >     because the default video mode is too much for the monitor
> >     (38k SVGA).
> >
>       Can't help on this one (I run other NetBSD ports)

 Too bad. This is most inconvenient :(

[virtual consoles]
>       All ports can run 'screen' (available in the packages collection),

 That's just fine. Could have thought of this myself ...

>       NetBSD has ktrace & kdump. ktrace dumps the system call
>       information to ktrace.out, kdump decodes the output file.
>       My guess is you'll want to chmod the keyboard device, or use
>       xdm. Personally I use xdm :)

 Hhm, I have never used xdm. Could give it a try, though.

[can't mount ext2fs]
>       Have you 'file-system     EXT2FS' in your kernel config?

 Nope. Why did I think it would be in GENERIC? :)
 I compiled a new kernel now, but disklabel sd1 still shows "unused".

Joern Clausen writes:

> To use my Archive Viper, I do first
>
>    mt fsr 1
>    mt rewind
>
> and sequent accesses with mt, tar or dump work fine. I guess, this kind
> of "initializes" something, err, or maybe not...

 You're probably right. These commands make it work for me, too,
 with both rst0 and nrst0.

bsieker%techfak.uni-bielefeld.de@localhost writes:
[startx]
> Make sure the Xserver is setuid root.
> (e. g. chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xamiga)

 Needless to say, it wasn't ...

 Another problem has surfaced: the HD floppy driver seems broken.
 When I untar a floppy written on a SunOS machine, the resulting files
 are corrupt. On AmigaOS and Linux, they are just fine. I use
 tar xvf /dev/fd0b.

 Thanks for all the feedback!

Lars Hecking lhecking at nmrc.ucc.ie adama at flare.dynip.com
RH 5.0/m68k 2.0.33pl1 NetBSD-Amiga 1.3.1
PGP: 55 0C 8F 76 B7 30 9F 48  23 C5 3C BF B7 9D D8 DC
Please do not Cc: me on list replies.