Re: Newbie questions

Hi!

>  4) Tape drive trouble. I have a Sun tape drive, and a tape written
>     on a SunOS machine (/dev/rst8). It is correctly recognised as
>     st0 at scsibus0 targ 4 lun 0: <ARCHIVE, VIPER 150  21351, -004> SCSI1
> 1/sequential removable
>     However, when I try to access the tape, it doesn't work:
>
> # mt status
> st0(ahsc0:4:0):  Check Condition on opcode 0x15
>     SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
>      ASC/ASCQ:  No Additional Sense Information

To use my Archive Viper, I do first

   mt fsr 1
   mt rewind

and sequent accesses with mt, tar or dump work fine. I guess, this kind
of "initializes" something, err, or maybe not...

I have no idea why this helps, but without these commands, I get the same,
or at least similar errors from the SCSI device. Maybe I should have
reported this earlier, as I had this behaviour through all versions of
NetBSD since I have the tape (probably NetBSD-1.0 or -1.1).

--
     Joern Clausen                  email:
joern%TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE@localhost