local network, printing, gvp i/o

First of all, thanks to all the people working on this, I appreciate all of
your (donated) hard work.

I'm trying to get my printer to work, and it won't. ;)  I read something on
this mailing list recently about how it won't work unless there is a proper
network set up, and mine isn't.   I have a gvp i/o card, and it's not
mentioned in either the list of supported hardware or in the list of
non-supported hardware, but I'm guessing that it's not, so all I have is the
one machine, no real network.  What do I have to do to get my network set up
correctly?  My machine is called hell ;)  and when it gets to the 'route add
$hostname localhost' part of the /etc/netstart script it echos 'hell: bad
value'.  From reading man pages and faq's, it seems that I need to set up hell
somewere, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it.  I've tried
in both /etc/hostname.hell and in /etc/hosts, but either I'm doing it wrong or
that's not how you're supposed to do it.

If there's any machine configurations that might help finding the problem,
please ask.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Moses