virtual memory exhausted?

   hi,
   I have tried to compile a c++ program, Quadview, an example from the VTK
archive (Visualization Tool Kit: a very powerfull link lib for visualization
of data in 2D or 3D). the compilation failed with the message "Virtual memory
exhausted". How can this be? I have over 80MBs of virtual memory on the swap
partition. I run NetBSD 1.2.1.
   Any ideas?
   Has anyone ever used VTK or tcl8.0b1/tk8.0b1 with MesaGL on NetBSD?

--
Konstantinos Margaritis
Under-graduate student at Physics Dept. of Athens University