Re: amiga/stand/boot's txlt vs as -l

On Apr 24, Ty Sarna wrote:

|-------------------- text of forwarded message follows --------------------|

In article <2452e54d.u9t23e.e57e0-is%beverly.rhein.de@localhost> you write:
> > NetBSD/m68k "as" supports a -l switch to shorten undefined references to
> > 16 bits instead of 32.  Is this different that what the txlt program
>
> txlt makes some more aggressive transforms, like, making all source
> references pc-relative (we know we have unified code/data space).

Thinking about it more, I guess "as -l" is kind of half-assed. Local
and extern branches/jumps/calls and extern data refs will be short, but
local code refs will be long, if I understand correctly what it does.

> I also experimented with letting it create base-relative code (and told
> the compiler to reserve that register), but overall code size was
> bigger, so I left it out in the final version.

Any GCC/m68k gurus out there looked at the ADE gcc? It has a bunch of
AmigaOS type support (smallcode, smalldata, explicit register arguments,
etc.), but it's too closely ties to the m68k-amigaos target. Maybe
someone could help improve it a bit (make the compiler do smallcode
itself, rather than just passing a flag to the assembler, optional pcrel
data too, etc) and help the ADE people get it integrated into standard
GCC. I could really use some of this stuff (yes, on NetBSD), but I know
very little about gcc internals. And it would mean eventually we could
do away with txlt and just compile with "cc -mtiny" or somesuch :-)

        Ignatios Souvatzis