Re: X11R6.1 version of ghostscript ?

> Well the ghostview binary works, but it would not hurt to update it too :)
Okay, I will do that.

> If it comes with GNU autoconf or similar tools, I specify the package dir
> with --prefix :) to bad easyinstall has not yet an option for the 'share'
> directory.
Ghostscript does not use any configuration utilities like GNU autoconf, so
the makefiles have to be modified manually. (BTW, this version of
ghostscript is not a GNU version governed by the GNU General Public License
but an Aladdin version governed by the Aladdin Ghostscript Free Public
License.) It is possible to keep all files in subdiriectories of
'/usr/local/ghostscript-4.03' so that the installation script only needs to
create links for the binaries and the manual pages. Since the default
search paths can be set in the makefile, it is not really neccessary to
have a '/usr/local/share' directory.

> Btw, how big was the compile dir ?
The size of the '/usr/local/ghostscript-4.03' directory is about 6.4 MB, of
which about 3.5 MB are used by the fonts. (The unpacked source files occupy
about 11 MB without the fonts. I can't remember the size of the object files
at the moment ...)

Since there seems to be general interest (thanks for all the replies!) in
ghostscript, I've decided to recompile it to include some more device drivers,
because I had reduced them to those which I personally use.

The documentation says that since version 3.53 the poor-quality free fonts
have been replaced by good ones. I've not checked which version is available
at ftp.uni-regensburg.de, but I guess for compatibility reasons (Fontmap
file, paths, ...) it would be most convenient to upload the current fonts
together with the binaries in one archive.

The complete archive ('.tar.gz') with binaries and fonts will have a size
of about 3.2 MB. (The archive size for the fonts alone would be about 2.1 MB.)

Stefan Hensen