Re: Graphicspeed with X under NetBSD

In message <Pine.NEB.3.95.970116155819.25914B-100000@smaug>, Alexander Sorg wr
ites:
>The current X-server takes advantage of the aga-chipset. You can open
>displays with a depth from 1 to 8 bits. But at 8 bits it becomes really
>slow. It's the same effect as under Amiga-OS, the chips are simply too
>slow. The graphic-speed when using a screen with a higher depth reduces
>as it does under Amiga-OS. When using a depht of 3 Bitplanes it seems to
>be a little bit slower than the Amiga-OS. I think the X-server is not so
>efficient as Amiga-Intuition.

Indeed. I had a few nightmares getting it going efficiently (a 1bit screen
is not ideal, a 4bit screen does not have enough colours, and some
programs do not like 5bit screens) until I started using the X server
in 4bit greyscale mode, i.e. my .xserverrc looks like this;

exec X -width 700 -height 535 -depth 4 -X 4 -Y -10 -emulatemiddle -cc GreyScale

This way all programs get the "colours" they need as all 16 grey shades
are fixed at startup. Not as good as proper colour, but better than
monochrome. YMMV.

Neil