From:
Tom.Stock%gsbsc.gensig.com@localhost[SMTP:Tom.Stock%gsbsc.gensig.com@localhost]
Sent:   jeudi, 16. janvier 1997 14:29
To:     Alexander Sorg; port-amiga%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject:        Re[2]: New to the List, X on A1200 with NetBSD?

  Are the graphics slower due to the conversion on the amiga or does NetBSD take
advantage of the amiga (aga) chipset?

Thanks everyone!
-tom

Subject: Re: New to the List, X on A1200 with NetBSD?
Author:  Alexander Sorg <handtuch%smaug.fh-regensburg.de@localhost> at Internet2
Date:    1/16/97 12:01 PM

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997 Tom.Stock%gsbsc.gensig.com@localhost wrote:
>      Hi, I'm both new to the list and new to NetBSD for the amiga. I just
Great!
>      I'd like to take a shot at running X Windows also, and was wondering
>      if someone could tell me what kind of performance I can expect from X
>      Windows on my Amiga. The FAQ recommends at least 6MB of RAM, so I
>      should be ok.
I ran X under NetBSD on my A1K2 with a Blizzard1230-IV Turboboard and 8MB
Fast-Ram. It worked fine but did really a lot of swapping. If you want,
you can work with it. But for compiling and such stuff I changed back to
the login-shell and using a program like 'screen' or something like that
(windows is neat :) Now I exchanged one of my 4MB Simms to a 16MB Simm and
now X really is fun. The swapping has reduced to a minimum and you reall
can work fine with it. At todays prizes for memory upgrading or not should
be no question. Do it!

>      Is there alot of good free software for NetBSD/Amiga?
Absolutely YES.
Have fun,
        Alex.
---
http://rfhs8012.fh.uni-regensburg.de/~asorg
e-mail: alexander.sorg%stud.fh-regensburg.de@localhost
Job: Student of Telecomunication/Electronics
Current special interest: Java