help: IDE-Problems WD Caviar 2850 drive

help! WD Caviar 2850F IDE problems

A couple of weeks ago, I installed NetBSD 1.2 on my A4000/040.
I used a Seagate 120MB IDE drive connected to the onboard IDE
controller as root device.
As I needed to have more disk space, I got a Western Digital
Caviar 2850 IDE drive. This worked fine so far in AmigaOS,
provided I jumpered it to master and the Seagate to slave.

When loading the kernel with loadbsd -b (for installation),
the device is configured as sd0 and Inquiry is performed like it's
supposed to. As soon as the root device is searched, however,
NetBSD is unable to find it ("panic: no init"). When booting
into multi user mode with the automatic fsck in /etc/rc it says
"wrong magic number". Manual fsck'ing shows that most partitions
are not being recognized correctly. I'm sure I partitioned everything
with HDToolbox just as it says in the INSTALL doc.

There seems to be anything wrong with the way the RDB is read (or
oganized on disk).

I tried to turn off DMA in the kernel by "binpatch"ing. There was
no effect. Also sync disabling with loadbsd -I ff didn't change
anything.

Does anyone have an idea about this problem?
Do I have to return this drive?

Western Digital's homepage didn't give any useful information, just
as it was with the doc leaflet that came with the drive.

????

Thanks and greetings

Mirko