Re: Old tape drive

Zoltan wrote:
> I'm running NetBSD-1.1 on an A3000.
> - I have an old Wangtek tape drive. The basic mt commands such as
> rewind and retension work OK, but any command that involves transfers
> wouldn't - even writing EOF generates 'invalid command' and the hexdump
> of the SCSI transaction.
> The kernel at boot time reads the following ID from the drive:
> WANGTEK 5525ES SCSI REV. 1

We have (I think) a Wangtek drive here, and it is quite stubborn in the
tape densities it will write. On tapes that already are written in
15 track density (density code 15) it absolutely refuses to write 18
track density (code 16) (with error messages like yours).

I hacked up the mt command to show and set densities, and send-pr'ed it
once. I think similar fixes were commited, so you might try to fiddle
with densities.

> Zoltan

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
\X/ Ceci n'est pas un Magritte          rhialto%polder.ubc.kun.nl@localhost