Re: X11R6.1 c r a w l s !

On Sun Oct 13 09:18:30 1996, David Hopper wrote:

> I'm curious whether anyone is suffering the same problems upon an X11R6-->
> X11R6.1 upgrade as I am having.  I have a home-cooked 1.2 kernel, a Picasso
> II (w/ 45ns RAM), and the Oct. 1 X11R6.1 binaries from Bernd Ernesti, and
> a Warp Engine 040/40.
>
> With the old 1.1 Xcl server, I was able to specify -memclock 59.  It was the
> lowest value I could get without screen garbage, but it made for an extremely

I removed -memclock completly from the Xserver.

> fast X server.  The new all-in-one Xamiga server by Bernd is not only
> slower--
> it's _really_ slow.  XTerm can't scroll without visibly painting the window

I got the first report about that problem a few days ago.
The one who tested the new Xserver got a CyberStorm 060 and had therefore
not much losage or was not sure about it.

We (Michael Teske an me) are working on that problem.

> from top to bottom, pixel by pixel.  Makes kernel compiles a real drag, s'fer
> damn sure.
>
> I'd experiment with dropping back to the old Xcl, but I'd hate to lose the
> middle button emulation and the hardware cursor.
>
> Any thoughts?  I'd love to get speedy again.

Enable jumpscroll for the xterm for the moment (option -j).

I am sorry for problem with Cirrus cards.

Bernd