Re: another 9.2 upgrade problem: the answer

I think mostly my problems derive from the poor support for upgrading
in the installation notes.  For me, upgrading my remote servers is an
infrequent gulp-inducing event.  Last time this machine was even
rebooted was 3 years 9 months ago.  I was pointed towards NetBSD long
ago by Peter Seebach when BSD/OS gave up the ghost, and it has proved a
very solid platform for delivering services to customers.  But it
really would help users such as me if the documentation were enhanced
by adding a simple step-by-step guide to upgrading from a plain
hard-disk directory on the same machine.  I know it's not dificult,
but if it's a rare event, it can be challenging.  That's particularly
true when it comes to /etc.

As regards /rescue, I was trying to re-extract with:
# /rescue/tar xpzf...
and I got messages about missing shared-library files.  Looking there
today I see what I take to be 155 hard links to a statically linked
executable.  Why it did not work I do not know.  But still, at least I
was able to work out what the problem was, and found a way round it.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>