help with 9.2 setup

I'm updating my network of servers to 9.2 from, variously, 7.0 and
8.0_RC1, starting with a local machine before I do the colos.

I haven't installed the etc set (yet) for fear of complications, but I
have instaled xetc.

Two issues at the moment:

1. Console keyboard is doing US rather than UK, despite encoding being
set to uk in wscons.conf (it's a USB device).  Has something changed
about wscons.conf?

2. X Windows starts, then immediately disconnects.  No errors in the
log file, but stderr reports: Undefined PLT symbol "_XGetRequest".
It reported a few of these until I removed .xinitrc, .Xincludes and
.Xresources, and now we're down to one.  I take it this is an
executable being called that was compiled against older libraries, but
I had assumed that the system xinitrc would only call 9.2
executables, and I can't see anything there that wouldn't be freshly
instlled.  _XGetRequest errors have been plaguing me for a long time,
and I had hoped that 9.2 would get rid of them.  Incidentally, if I
just run X the server does start, shows the trademark grey weave
pattern, and just sits there with a working cursor, but doesn't do
anything useful of course.

BTW, is there any fuller discussion anywhere of issues that can arise
when updating /etc?  The Instasllation Guide is not all that helpful
on this.

Apart from the above, all very smooth and quick though.

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>